For information on the 2022 session, click here.
We are pleased to announce that the next JAT eJuku session will be held as indicated below. For general information on eJuku, please visit the webpage "What is e-Juku?"
Spring 2021 J>E eJuku session
- Language direction: Japanese to English
- Format: online forum discussion and series of videoconferences
- Period: mid-April through early June 2021 (see below)
- Fees: None
1. JAT membership through to the end of the session (non-members required to join JAT after being selected as eJuku participants)
2. Native or near-native English proficiency (eJuku is a place for polishing already impeccable English)
3. Ideally no more than a couple of years' experience as a professional translator
4. High motivation to learn and pledge to participate actively in the planned videoconferences (ideally all of them) and forum discussions (ideally on a daily basis)-
- Tentative schedule:
Today: eJuku announced
Mid-April: Call for Participants sent to inquirers
Late April: Applicants screened
By early May: Participants selected and notified
May 8 (Sat): 1st get-to-know videoconference
May 10 (Mon): Translation submission
May 15 (Sat): 2nd videoconference to be followed by forum discussion
May 22 (Sat): 3rd videoconference to be followed by forum discussion
May 29 (Sat): 4th videoconference to be followed by forum discussion
Questionnaire distributed; wrap-up
June 5 (Sat): Forum closed, turned read-only for a while
*Videoconferences are usually held on Saturday mornings 10:00 to 11:30 JST.
- Application and screening:
If you would like to know more about the upcoming eJuku session or are interested in participating, please write to Shu, the eJuku coordinator, immediately. He will send you a Call for Participants document, which will contain all necessary information, including the source text, for you to make a decision to apply. If there is overwhelming demand, the call may be closed when a reasonable limit to the number of applicants has been reached.
If you know anyone you think might be interested, please send this along to them.
Shuichi Yamakawa ("Shu")
Spring 2021 J>E eJuku Coordinator